Study Permit Canada: A Guide for International Students.

Canada is a nation of many things. It’s the birthplace of poutine, ketchup chips and hockey. And if you are studying in Canada, these are just some things you should try out when visiting this great nation. Canada is also known for its rich history, beautiful landscapes and friendly people who love making new friends worldwide! Study Permit

What is a Study Permit

The study permit is issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to allow foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions in Canada. Ensure you have all the required documents to apply for a Study Permit in Canada.

Most international students must obtain a study permit before coming to Canada. Apply for your permit as soon as possible, or you may risk delaying your entry into the country. Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada—you may also need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or visitor visa to visit the country. One will be issued with your study permit if your application is approved.

Once approved, your application will be processed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Once approved, IRCC will issue an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allowing you entry into Canada on any date between 90 days before the start date of your course until 12 months after its completion date; this period may extend up until 24 months after graduation depending on which country/university provides funding for study fees etc.

Study Permit – Who Can Apply? – Eligibility Requirements

You can come to Canada to study if you

  • are enrolled at a DLI
  • prove you have enough money to pay for
    • your tuition fees
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
  • are in good health and get a medical exam (if needed) and
  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

What is a Student Direct Stream SDS

The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an expedited study permit processing program for those applying to study in Canada at a postsecondary designated learning institution (DLI). The SDS is available to legal residents who also reside in. Antigua and Barbuda. Read More

Canada Study Assessment Form

The Canada Study Assessment Form is a form that is required by the visa office and must be submitted with your application. It must also be completed by a Canadian university or college, which will assess your qualifications for entry into its program. You can download this form from the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Once you have completed this form, you must submit it with your application. You may also be asked to provide additional documentation supporting the form’s information. This could include transcripts from previous studies or proof of English language proficiency (if required). Read More

Getting Admitted

You will need to show proof of acceptance into a program at a Canadian university. This can be done through an online portal or the admissions office of your chosen school. You’ll also need to show that you have enough money for tuition and living expenses, proving that you have enough money to support yourself while studying abroad (you may be required to show bank statements).

The next step is ensuring that your health insurance covers international travel; this is especially important if your current plan doesn’t cover any medical expenses outside Canada. If it doesn’t, look into getting supplemental coverage before travelling abroad so that all bases are covered when it comes time for treatment during or after study abroad!

Last but not least: English proficiency tests! These determine whether or not applicants have sufficient language ability needed for success in their chosen field (i.e., medicine)

Designated Learning Institutions

There are many designated learning institutions in Canada. The government approved these schools and can offer degrees and other postsecondary education programs.

The first step to getting admitted into a program at a designated learning institution is filling out the Canada Study Assessment Form, which you can find on the CIC website ( After submitting this form, you will be given an assessment date range by email or phone call, depending on how quickly they need your information back so they can assess your application correctly.

Once your assessment has been completed successfully, it’s time for good news! You’ve been accepted into one of our many excellent programs! Congratulations! Another critical step comes: choosing what kind of program or area of study best suits your needs and standing what level each level represents.

Letter of Acceptance

A letter of acceptance is a document issued by the designated learning institution confirming you have been accepted into a program of study. A designated learning institution must give the letter, and it must be given before you apply for a study permit. Read More

If you’re applying for an open work permit (where there are no restrictions on where or how long you work), then your employer does not need to get involved in this process. You will need to show them proof that:

  • You were accepted into an eligible program of study at an eligible postsecondary educational institution in Canada; and
  • That there is space available in their agenda (s) when classes start.

Programs and Areas of Study

Choosing a program and an area of study is one of the most important decisions you’ll make in your life. You’ve decided to go to university, so you’re probably looking for a career path that will allow you to use what you’re learning as soon as possible. Choosing an area of study will be similar to selecting a major in high school in some ways—it will define how you spend your time for at least four years (and possibly longer).

Pathway agreements give students college and university benefits through a clearly defined partnership pathway. In contrast, transfer agreements allow students to transfer to Lambton College from another institution while applying previous credits toward a new program. Read More

Levels of Study

There are five levels of study in Canada:

  • Undergraduate – This is the first step to higher education and typically occurs between ages 17-21. It’s usually a four-year program that leads to a bachelor’s degree (Bachelor of Arts or Science). You’ll be able to choose from hundreds of majors in dozens of fields like law, medicine and engineering. The average cost for an undergraduate program at a university is around $20K per year, but this can vary depending on where you live or what institution you attend.

Transfer Programs

Transfer programs are for international students who have completed one or two years of study at a Canadian post-secondary institution and wish to transfer to another institution.

The host institution may offer in transfer program or use an external service provider (e.g., Student Transfer Services). In either case, the student must meet all admission requirements for both institutions involved in the transfer process: not only those set out by each university but also those imposed by visa authorities.

Pathway Programs

Pathway programs are designed to help students transition from secondary school to postsecondary education. They’re available in some provinces and territories, including Ontario and New Brunswick.

Pathway programs can help you gain experience, develop skills and improve your language proficiency before starting university studies.


You will need to find a place to live. You should look for an apartment or house that is safe, affordable and close to your school if you are studying in the city. If you’re planning on living outside of Vancouver, check out our list of cities with good universities in Canada!

You will also need to find a part-time job or full-time job. Consider applying for a job before moving to Vancouver so that you can start working immediately and make money! Read More

Financial Aid

The first step to getting Canada Student Loans and Grants is to apply. You can do so online at [the link].

Once you’ve been accepted into a program, make sure your school has sent all necessary documents to the government so that they can process your loan application. If your school hasn’t sent any documents, ask why not! You need those forms for the government to review whether or not they’ll give you money for school. Are you going on vacation? Don’t forget about us! If there are any delays with your application, send us an email so we can help speed things up (and make sure everything goes smoothly). Apply for OSAP

Student Health Insurance

Student health insurance is mandatory for all international students studying in Canada and must be purchased before entry to Canada. It’s available at a reasonable rate and provides coverage for emergency medical treatment.

If you’re an international student, please ensure health insurance coverage before coming to Canada. Two options are available: -Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through the University of Waterloo. Read More


The Canadian government has a policy that requires you to comply with all the rules and regulations of your institution.

If you do not comply with these rules, it will result in your deportation from Canada.

You must also comply with all the rules and regulations of Canada and its immigration office.

The Canadian government is stringent when it comes to enforcing immigration laws. If you do not comply with all the rules and regulations of Canada, it can result in your deportation from Canada.

Study Permits can be obtained through applications made at the visa office.

The Canadian government requires students to apply for a study permit before entering Canada. They must meet the requirements to be eligible for one and then apply at a visa office in their home country. Fees are associated with this process, but if you’re accepted as an international student at one of our partner universities, we’ll help cover them!

When you come to Canada, you’ll need to bring your passport, student visa and study permit. If possible, it’s also a good idea to get some extra money to buy books, supplies and other materials needed for classes.

Check Processing Times


Canada is a great place to study and live. It has many opportunities for students who want to get a good education and those who want to work in one of the many fields available here. If you are interested in studying abroad or studying in Canada, then this article will help guide you through the process step by step so there will be no confusion when applying for your visa!

Study Permit